I started off this long Labor day weekend still feeling quite panicky and like my life was getting out of control. Who knew it was only a case of the nesting syndrome! U had to work on Labor day so I spent the day driving around from baby superstore to baby superstore and managed to make some purchases. This has now left me feeling much better and like my nest at least continues to get built. A few more twigs to go...
One thing Ive learned is that having a baby is 40% about being pregnant, physical health, birth etc. The other 60% is all about consumerism. In many ways its like wedding planning. The minute you start baby planning and doing some research online, you are bombarded with things you HAVE to have. I was pretty good at sifting through the overpriced BS for our wedding and proudly admit to having purchased my wedding dress on ebay for less than $120 and having resisted the his and hers engraved sterling silver cake server.
But with baby, I want it all and I want the best. When I walk by groups of moms on the streets or at Starbucks, I overhear them comparing baby products and often hear comments like "the Diaper Genie II doesn't have the same odor proof seal capabilities as Diaper Genie I". (Dont laugh...when we were choosing diaper bins, I told U we had to get the Diaper Genie I). I admit to obsessively reading consumer reports and reviews on everything from pacifiers to strollers. In a previous entry I mentioned being baffled by kids toys, but one that appealed to me instantly was this play station called a "Baby's PlayPlace". Ive read rave reviews on this toy and its like every toy for a small child in one package. I like that it "evolves" as a baby grows and having seen and read about it - i HAD to have it. Only problem was that it was sold out online and at every retail shop we visited. Yesterday however, I stopped by the Babies R Us and low-and-behold -- IN STOCK! I was like a kid at Christmas. When I got home U and I put it together right away and were very excited that the "musical" aspect of the toy was very much parent controlled and included nature sounds as well as a catchy variety of tunes - not annoyingly repetitive high pitched electronica music. All in all, a very pleased consumer. Can't wait to put Baby Bi in it for his first exploration so that he can develop his sensory and motor skills and become the next Doogie Howser MD! (haha only kidding on the child prodigy reference!!)

On recent physical manifestations, I can report a lot of baby hiccups. He gets them at least twice a day sometimes more and when he does, he also squirms and jabs me a lot. He is also definitely growing and U asked the other night whether I was sure we were only 7 months pregnant? Could my stomach really get any bigger? I assured him that at Babies R' Us I got to do some belly-check-outing and there are definitely bigger belly's out there and yes, it could and probably will get bigger although I too am baffled how and where exactly I could possibly be readjusted any more to allow for growth. Other than that, I continue to not sleep and have back aches, and now that my stomach is basically where my lungs were, I can't breathe either. Ive also been having night sweats or hot flashes - generally bed time is a battle where I straddle wanting/needing to sleep and being so frustrated with the myriad of things that keep me from sleeping that I just dread it. Its getting a bit tougher physically, but its good to be able to see that speck of light at the end of the tunnel.This month shall be another full one. Tim and Frauke are visiting and arriving this weekend. I feel bad as I probably wont be able to be as active and good a hostess as I'd like to be, but hopefully they will understand. The following weekend, my best friend Julie arrives to throw me a baby shower! With that means more good friends visiting for the baby shower and Im looking forward to seeing them all before I become a different manifestation of myself ie: mommy CLO.
U and I are also planning to attend prenatal and birth classes. I have recently begun to watch online videos on childbirth again - something that I did when I first found out I was pregnant and quickly regretted. Now I feel like I should make myself watch them. Oooh man it looks painful...thank goodness for repression and short term memories!
October will be dedicated to final countdown and major contributions to the struggling economy with our final baby purchases including the very important - crib. Once we have the crib set up, I think I will feel closer to fulfilling my nesting dreams. That and getting U to scrub the house from top to bottom. :-)
Week 29 belly pics for your viewing pleasure

No comments:
Post a Comment