09 October 2008

5.5 - snug as a bug in a... pelvis

In the last post I complained about difficulty breathing - due to the baby's growth which leads to less room for my lungs and diaphragm to expand. That same evening, I felt the baby squirming around like crazy. The next morning when I had my morning cereal anticipating the struggle to breathe thereafter, I noticed instead that I could breathe better than I had been.

That day at work I had a distinct and terrible "new" backache that was lower, duller and more intense, and there was an uncomfortable and sometimes painful pressure on my hip and pelvis. I told U and he commented that maybe the baby had "dropped". But I couldn't be sure.

Last night I was SO uncomfortable from the back and pelvic pain and woke up this morning feeling grumpy and more heavily pregnant than ever.

Luckily this morning I also had a routine OB check up so I mentioned these things to the doc. He did a quick belly exam and confirmed that yes, Baby's head is engaged in my pelvis! I asked him what this meant and he said that it means he's in the correct position and isn't breech or sideways. That his head fits in my pelvis which is a good thing. I then asked whether it was possible for the baby to disengage after being engaged, and he said that it was unlikely the baby would disengage from my pelvis until he was pushed out. Finally, I asked whether this meant anything in terms of his arrival date and he said probably not.

In summary I learned that: 1) doctors can be as evasive as politicians about direct answers 2) Baby is snugly in my pelvis and getting ready for the big day although we are in no way more informed about when that will be

As a result of Baby's new position, I am waddling big time now and U says I walk like I just had an accident in my pants...haha very funny thanks hon.. Im certainly happy that things are going as they should and this little event has brought some optimism back to the countdown. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for baby bi being in the right position. You're SO close :)

I'm hoping for a 11/10 birth. So you get to get the little one out a bit early and so that he can share Addie's birthday :)

Dear Uli, treat Christina like a queen, she deserves it.

Love,
Monica