09 June 2008

pomegranate week

hello, welcome to week 17 - pomegranate week. This week baby measures nearly 5 inches from head to po ("po" = butt in german) and weighs about as much as a turnip.

Im doing ok - thanks for asking. Since nearly everyone at work now knows about my condition, instead of "how are you", I get asked daily "how are you feeling". Quite an odd greeting to adjust to. When asked "how are you feeling", I feel that I am expected to stop, pause and analyze my physical condition then prepare a brief report about how the baby and I are doing.

The answer is almost always a "Im doing great", cause I almost always am. And although I am infinitely grateful to the powers that be that I am indeed doing great, sometimes I find that my lack of pregnancy "pains" and symptoms can make me feel rather anxious about how the baby is doing. Shouldn't I be more miserable than this? If Im not miserable does that mean that he baby is not well?

This is the kind of illogic that has entered my daily life and I spent much of the weekend staring at my stomach and managed to convince myself by last night that it has shrunk. With a serious tone I asked Uli if he thought my stomach had shrunk. He was kind enough to not completely mock me...put a hand on my belly and said "nope, still big". He's a darling isn't he?

Speaking of the darling, he's on his way to Colorado for a meeting about mouse models of cancer. My usual crazy levels of separation anxiety seem to be at check so far, for which Im grateful. I started off the day by treating myself to a Starbucks breakfast tea and apple fritter and will be spending the rest of my work day planning out what yummy naughty things I can have for dinner since U wont be around to make me feel bad for poisoning our baby. Cup o' noodle here I come!! :-)

No comments: