This morning at a birthday celebration, I found myself surrounded by at least 6-8 female colleagues/Moms who promptly began dishing out advice, sharing their own pregnancy experience, debating the pros and cons of drugs during delivery - and I felt like I'd been inducted into a new club thats not terribly exclusive, but certainly has entry requirements - the mommy club.
Colleagues whom I have not spoken much with before, suddenly treated me like I was a valued friend and member. Someone to whom they can carry on the ancient traditions of passing motherhood experience, stories and wisdom. As a newly inducted member I felt for the first time how I could be made to feel like I know nothing about giving birth or raising a child and the more seasoned members certainly did not hesitate to "correct" me in my mistaken thinking.
I didn't however feel resentful or annoyed by this, despite not having formally applied to join the club. It was all meant to be helpful and some of the advice was certainly worth considering, including a helpful pediatrician recommendation. The circle of women somehow felt warm and protective and I felt that if I really did need advice and new friends to share the experience with, membership to the club gave me the privilege of approaching any of its members with questions or my own stories in due course.
Im looking forward to being a lifetime member of the mommy club henceforth. All this talk about baby rearing is making me feeling a lot of anticipation of meeting our little one!! 5 more months!
PS: I have felt the baby move a few times now. I know because it feels like nothing else Ive ever felt before... like there's something foreign inside of you moving or as Ive seen it described, like "goldfish swimming in a small bowl". Yesterday I felt a relatively big thump right in the center of my stomach while sitting quietly at work. Happy happy :-)
PPS: I'm in it to win it with Obama!!
No comments:
Post a Comment