24 June 2008

large tomato week

This week we enter the 19th week of the pregnancy. The baby is now apparently the size of a large heirloom tomato.

I feel the need to whine today so we will go straight into whining mode.

First and foremost... my back is killing me, and yes I fully realize I will only get bigger and the back aches will only get worse but that inevitable fact does not disallow me from complaining about it now. You want to stop reading don't you... ?

Its ok I dont blame you. I hate whiny pregnant women too, and if confronted with the blog of such a whiny pregnant lady, I'd probably not hesitate to close the screen or alternatively leave a "stop your belly-aching (pun intended)" kind of comment.

But today I dont care. Its my blog and Im pregnant and Ill do what I want to. My back frickin hurts and it hurts when I sit, stand, walk and it hurts when Im trying to sleep!! And its not just one little spot. Its the neck, its the shoulders, its the trapezious, the latissimus dorsi, and lets not even talk about the thoracolumbar fascia (for the non-anatomists)!

Complaint number 2: My ears keep popping. And Im not talking - going through an underground tunnel and you just have to yawn to relieve the ear popping sensation. This is daily ear- popping in one or both ears from simply sitting around or in the middle of a conversation and nothing I mean NOTHING will relieve it for minutes or hours and everything sounds like Im underwater or have pillows over my ears (I am currently experiencing this as we speak). The sensation is not painful, but extremely irritating and also makes me feel claustrophobic. Not completely sure I cant blame weird pregnancy hormones for this thing, but when I casually mentioned it to one of my colleagues she jumped with joy (?!) and proudly declared that she had it too when she was pregnant... brilliant.

Despite these physical maladies, two things are keeping me relatively cheerful.

1) today is the 2nd anniversary of my marriage to the most wonderful man in this world
2) ultrasound in T minus 8 days and we can hopefully get to know our little one a bit better (including hopefully, whether its a he/she and how he/she is doing)

Now if only I could take off work and get a massage and poke my annoying popping ears out so I dont have to hear my own breathing magnified 100x!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My birthing teacher told us that getting a massage a month during pregnancy reduces the length of labor considerably. I think you have to consider this a serious investment into the future and get thee to a masseuse!

--Monica