
In recent weeks, a number of Kai's friends at daycare who are a bit older than him, started to crawl, cruise, walk and reach those cute mobile stages of babyhood that make the parents of the baby that is a few months younger, a little eager to see their own start moving. We were definitely anxious to see what stylistic freedoms Kai would take on in his pursuit of mobility (his buddy Jacob started off with a smooth combat crawl and Avery preferred to crawl backwards until she'd get stuck..) :-)
In my failure to find time to blog I have simultaneously failed to record a number of Kai's own little achievements in recent months. These included rolling over, sitting up, developing a sudden and irrational fear of bath time and strangers, insisting on saying "dada" when I implore him to say "mama", and sprouting two little bottom teeth. But when we put him down on his belly to see if he'd like to crawl, we would get sternly reprimanded with yells and limb flailing.
Nevertheless, we knew that he was nearly ready to take on exploring on his hands and knees, as his curiosity in the world increased daily. We see him reeeeaaaching for that toy he wants and getting mighty frustrated at not being able to get hold of it so have been encouraging him to try. He wasn't getting very far at all for a while. That is, until yesterday, when I put him down on his play mat (located in the middle of the rug in our living room) so that I could sprint to the bathroom and back. When I returned 10 seconds later he was very much outside the usual confines of the playmat. In fact he was on the rug and using a combination of half-rolls and butt lifts he reached the world of the wooden floor!!! Needless to say, we were terribly proud and I even misted up.
The happy excitement at his achieving mobility lasted all of about half an hour. With his new found mobility KBB seems to now believe that he can also fly and whilst I was giving him a cuddle he spotted the xbox controller and began to squirm and "leap" for it. The days of having a few minutes to converse and cuddle with my baby seem to be nearing an end and as he adeptly lunged, half-rolled and butt lifted to the previously forbidden object. I was left pouting whilst he happily gnawed on the controls - realizing that my baby is now very suddenly too busy and mobile to hang out with his mama. And also that it is time to emergency baby-proof the house.
In summary, mobility sucks.
1 comment:
Oh heck yeah--you're SO excited for it to happen and then you think--what on earth was I in such a rush for?
That's pretty much every single milestone.
But...congrats to baby bi for growing up so wonderfully!
Post a Comment