05 February 2009

Im back

.. at work. Which probably also simultaneously means that Im back more frequently to post!

Yesterday was my first day back. During my maternity leave a number people told me that I would probably be very upset the first day back at work and he's at daycare, and that I should take it easy, let myself cry etc. The evening before returning to work, I was thinking... Im fine, whats the big deal? We put him to bed and enjoyed a little down time. By bedtime I was still fine. When I got into bed, said goodnight to Uli and closed my eyes, all I could see was that adorable face that I have been looking at for the past 2.5 months.

..I cried massive alligator tears for a good hour after that and vowed to U that I was quitting work.

Having gotten the crying out of my system helped me maintain composure and tear free yesterday. I can't say that I was terribly productive at work though. It was more like a work trial run - trying to figure out dropping him off, scheduling the pumping (and figuring out how to do things as discretely as possible), and I ended up leaving early to pick him up. I received a super warm welcome from my colleagues and although my boss is out of town, he left me lovely flowers with a card that said welcome back.. he knows how hard it is to leave Kai with someone else.. (have I mentioned I have the best boss ever?)

The daycare called twice to tell me that "he's fine, but he's not eating". I tried not to obsess and didn't race right over to check on him, but did instead call Uli and demand that he head over there straight away to SHOW THEM how to feed him. hahaha.

In other news, and at the risk of jinxing ourselves, KBB has been sleeping amazingly the past 3 nights. For the past 3 nights in a row, we have put him to bed at around 8pm and he has slept through until 3am. Yes! you read that right! That's 7 hours in a row! He wakes up to eat and afterwards falls asleep again until about 7am which is when we need to get up anyway. I'm praying this is not some crazy fluke but something he will stick to and perhaps even improve! Anyways, Im totally satisfied with this sleep schedule. Hooray!

First day of work/daycare shots:



Isn't he a little chameleon?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure Kai is soon going to sleep even more! I totally understand that going back to work so soon is a bit difficult, but things will get better. Giulia also was not eating much during the first days at the nursery, but then she started to enjoy it, so don't worry!
You all look very well in the pics! All the best, Giovanna.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that it's the string of really great bosses that you've had that has prepared you so well to return to work ;). I'm glad to hear you're doing well and that KBB is helping so much by being a good evening sleeper!

Jodi said...

Wow! He's gotten so big! (And continues to be so cute!)

I hope the day care thing is getting easier... it just kinda stinks in the beginning but I promise you it does get easier.

7 hours, woo-hoo!