Hi and welcome to week 22. This week the baby measures about 11 inches (ie: the length of a Spaghetti Squash) and weights 1lb (congratulations little bi on going from ounces to pounds!!)Towards the end of last week I had my first full fledged nesting urges. The pregnancy books all suggest starting to prepare for the baby when one is in the 5th-6th month of pregnancy as it will be harder to do everything when spaghetti squash has become giant pumpkin.
I was determined to make a dent in my many mental lists of must-dos so U and I spent Saturday at various furniture places checking out the crib Id seen online, and also bought other pieces of furniture to help solve our current storage crisis. We bought a new dining room cabinet and dresser for the to be baby room - which were much needed so that we can make space for baby type things like bottles, bottle brushes, bottle warmers, baby food, diapers, baby clothes, baby blankets, and the gagillion other baby-necessities that we will soon be required to acquire.
Yesterday we (ie Uli) put the furniture together, did a full oil change for the car, and moved some furniture around in preparation for creating the nursery. It felt nice to have been successful in our endeavor to start nesting, but I woke up suddenly at 4am, walked to the baby's to-be room, and started making about 918379874871 more mental lists of things to get/do. The task suddenly felt rather daunting and I felt like our weekend efforts were equivalent to having retrieved 1 twig of the 100,000 twigs required to build our nest. I then started to worry about whether I would be able to hear the baby when he wakes up at night, would it make more sense to have him sleep in our room for the first few months, or would that just delay the sense of independence we want to instill in him early on? Needless to stay I couldn't get back to sleep...let the nest building and beginning of sleepless nights commence...
Physically Im feeling good. Heavy, cumbersome, but good. I feel him moving, kicking, hiccupping, and generally being active throughout the day. His most active times seem to be after lunch and dinner, and just before bedtime. I am starting to mentally prepare for the arrival of one feisty little chinese-german kid. I think feeling the baby move inside me, is hands down one of the most joyous things about being pregnant, and definitely on the top 5 list of coolest things Ive ever experienced in my life. Many generations of mothers have been accused of not being able to stay out of their child's lives, of wanting to over-care and nurture them... but honestly how can you blame a woman - who has spent an intense and intimate 9 months witnessing first hand the creation and development of her child. Of being able to protect them from harm by using her body as a shield, by building a relationship from the beginning, by willingly for the first time in her life, given up her dreams in order to fulfill his, from getting to know his personality and dreaming about who he will be when he is just a mere little spaghetti squash.
Why do I fall into the trap of getting overly sentimental every few weeks? Embarassing but alas, this blog shall record the true even if hormonal experience. People, go out there and send your mom some love, stat!
1 comment:
really touching post. there really is something unique and unsurpassed about being a mother, including a fierce and visceral need to be close to your baby.
Post a Comment