28 July 2008

ear of corn/chicago hot dog week

Ladies and Gentlemen we have reached "ear of corn" and/or chicago hot dog week - week 24 of the pregnancy. Theoretically this means we have 16 weeks to go! This week Baby Bi measures a foot long and about 1.25 lbs. Growing growing growing!!

After a few busy weekends we wanted to spend this one low-key. Although we probably should've done baby-prep things, U and I ended up catching up with each other, which was both needed and welcomed. On Friday night, we decided to take it easy and head out for dinner. We tried a new local Thai place and were pleasantly surprised that it was rather good, not terribly pricey (for Huntington) and made a mental note for our post-baby emergency take-out options.

Saturday, we had an appointment for a tour of Huntington Hospital where I am registered to deliver. U said that he went with negative expectations so was pleasantly surprised by the facilities and staff. I on the other hand, having always been very suspicious and skeptical of doctors and healthcare providers generally (hence once being a medical negligence lawyer), was neither impressed nor unimpressed, but reserving my judgment for when I am actually a patient and can assess the service. We have unfortunately, heard a number of nightmare stories about having babies at this hospital, but it is the closest hospital and my OB is registered here. I have been pretty happy with my OB so far, so dont want to risk going to a better hospital for having a worse doctor, so am sticking to the status quo and will see how things go. Unless I am very unlucky and half of the town goes into labor the same night as me, I should have a private labor and delivery room. We were told that if all goes well, one hour after delivery, I will be moved to the maternity/recovery ward where I will share a room with another person. From 9am to 9pm, the baby can be in the room with me but from 9pm to 9am, the baby will be in the hospital nursery. Its all becoming quite real!! It was good to see the facilities and be able to have mental images so that there are less unknowns for the big day!
Outside of Huntington Hospital

After the hospital tour, we met up with our friends Camile and Vlad to catch Batman: The Dark Knight. I had to pee really bad half way through but was enjoying the movie enough to have made myself wait to the end - so I consider that a positive review from me! After the movie we hit up a nearby restaurant called Azerbaijan Grill which served, surprise surprise, food from Azerbaijan (which is much like other middle eastern fare such as kebabs, mezes, etc). The portions were massive and the food tasty, and we all enjoyed it as well as each other's company.

Sunday was a day of heavy downpours so U and I only went out for a quick food shop. A delicious fish taco dinner was then prepared for me by my lovely husband, and thereafter we had a full-on West Wing Season 5 marathon. Bartlett for President! :-)

Now for the weekly physical report. This week we will discuss The three B's - Boobs, Belly & Butt. These are the three areas of my body that seem to have taken on a life of their own. So the Boobs and Belly thing I expected, but why is my butt not only growing, but developing stretch marks/cellulite and looking absolutely hideous :-( Up til around spaghetti squash week, I was feeling only joy and pride in my changing form. I can no longer report such blanket joy. As I gazed in my mirror at my butt and thighs yesterday, I became overwhelmed at how real the physical changes were and for the first time, realized that my body may never be the same after this. Of course, you've heard it all before from your mom, and other moms, but when it actually happens to your own body (which albeit was never perfect, but I was still happy with), its not so easy to accept. Luckily, U was there to offer me a big hug and some reassuring words amidst the hormonal tears which ensued at the realization. The hugs helped loads, but I suspect temporarily, and I further suspect that there will be more hormonal tears shed over even more dramatic physical changes hereon. I am just waiting for the stomach stretch marks now.. probably best to be prepared rather than hope that I will be spared..

At least this all means that Baby bi is growing and every day Im grateful that he is still kicking and incubating away :-). I suppose he can't grow and be healthy, without my growing... and growing and growing!!

Week 24 belly shots (beware large in-your-face belly shot included):

No comments: