17 March 2008

blissful

I enter my 5th week today. This weekend, it all became more real. 1) I bought my first pregnancy guidebook, 2) I got confirmation from the doc that I was pregnant and was given a ton of prenatal vitamins 3) We decided we wanted to tell our parents the happy news.

I called home and said: "Mom, what are you doing in November?"
Reponse: "November? I don't know, thats ages away!"
Me: "How do you feel about being a grandmother in November"

She got all high pitched and said "...you're pregnant?!" and when I confirmed she started shouting at my dad saying "you're going to be a grandfather" then started talking a mile a minute and U was laughing cause he could hear her through the phone. It was so cute :-). The next morning we phoned U's parents and their reaction was similarly shocked and happy.

My first prenatal doctor's appointment is April 18th (feels like AGES away). By then I will be nearly 10 weeks and I'm hoping to get a sonogram and hear the baby's heartbeat. I was a bit worried last week that I had a lack of symptoms. This week, is rather different. I dont have any morning sickness (thank the lord) but I do have:
  • PMS like cramps
  • crazy growing sore boobs
  • more frequent need to pee
  • serious exhaustion but inability to sleep well
  • constipation and gassiness (ew)
  • sudden crankiness and tearfulness
  • justification to eat and eat... (not really a symptom)
My mind has been going non-stop and I find myself thinking about whats going on inside me, the months to come, what I can do to help my baby grow healthily. I feel so amazed and so so blessed.

I realize it probably sounds cliche, but I feel so blissful and scared at the same time, that I can have the responsibility of protecting and nurturing a little tiny fragile life that is a part of both U and me, and that it is growing and developing in me constantly. It's clinging onto me and the feeling of wanting to protect it with all of my body mind and soul is one of the most overwhelming feelings I've ever had. I feel so humbled by this little gift....ugh look at me Im tearing up as I write this..........

crazy pregnant woman alert!!!

..... I'm so happy! :-)

No comments: