11 December 2009

Tomo arigato, Mama Roboto.

Over his birthday and Thanksgiving weekend, my parents got a dose of their grandson and immediately insisted on keeping him for 2 more weeks. By the end of the weekend U & I were sent home back to NY on our own, and it has been the longest 2 weeks ever.

Luckily, we head back down to MD tomorrow to pick up our little munchkin. hooray! Although we've missed him like crazy, the past two weeks have given me a chance to reboot, recalibrate and relaunch.

Rebooting: A very necessary function for overtired parents who have not had a break for a year. The first few days back, I slept for what felt like days and nights and they all got blurred together. After the reboot I was running like a brand new operating system and was ready to move onto the next two important functions:

Recalibrating: I did not expect to need to reassess how we have been managing things, but the fact that I needed such a major reboot led me to realize that perhaps I havn't been running my machines in the most efficient ways. Working full time, I spend my down times at work planning adult and kids menus, shopping lists, errand lists, and trying to find pockets of time to actually do those things. Once we are home, I insist on cooking fresh meals for Kai - breakfast dinner and lunch, baking organic whole wheat birthday muffins, planning a Thanksgiving menu, cooking said menu, not knowing how to stop and give myself a break. Recalibrating has become necessary and my "ah ha" moment came when i realized that taking some shortcuts is not only not bad, but would be good for all of us. Welcome me to the world of frozen vegetables and occasional pre-made meals! Sometimes a busy mom needs to step back, reassess, and realize that one has to let go and not feel guilty for giving oneself a break.

Relaunching: Ah, surprisingly this has been my most favorite one. One year's worth of having no time to properly clean the house has made me want to just move and leave it all behind. U&I spent last weekend scrubbing the house down, throwing away junk, dealing with paperwork. The fridge is filled and everything feels easy and breazy. Sometimes, it feels pretty damn good to have order. I feel happy with a nice feeling nice smelling and clean house to welcome my baby back to!

I keep coming back to the concept of Time. Objectively the clock ticks and time moves at the same rate as it always does and always will. This past year I have let it run me as I struggle to function properly with the time that is given to me every day. These two weeks have been such a gift from my parents, who clearly took one look at me and said - you're a mess. Its time to reboot, recalibrate and relaunch. It will be the best thing you can do not only for yourself, but for U & for Kai.

The wisdom of parents. Thanks Mommy and Daddy..

2 comments:

karobug said...

Lesson 1: Happy parents bear happy children! This is an extension of the cliche that one must love herself before she can love another (no matter who and how cute the other is). Stress will hurt you and Kai more than any preservatives you find in frozen foods. Zoe has eaten McDonald's or frozen dinners at least twice a week, and junk food or candy everyday for the last eight years (probably has never heard the word "organic" in the same sentence as "food" before). She loves all vegetables, is in GT, takes piano and dance lessons, just trained three months for a 5K race and is as thin as a rail! I may not be a model parent, but I'm a happy parent with happy and healthy children! You deserved a break and I'm relieved you refuse to feel guilty for taking one!

Unknown said...

Happy that you have rebooted my dear. Your health is very important, not just for yourself, but for bebe as well. And you know, frozen veggies are still pretty good for you!