Today begins Olive week! This week our little nut-turned-olive measures about 1 inch. My uterus supposedly expands to the size of a grapefruit!You would think that a grapefruit sized uterus would be pretty visible. Nevertheless, although I gaze anxiously at my belly profile every morning, I still look like Ive gained a small pot belly rather than having a telling baby bump.
This weekend I had my first real crying fit over nothing really. It was surprising, but actually the cry over nothing really was a nice relief. Saturday was balmy and warm and U & I met up with Andy and told him the good news. We hadn't planned on it at all, but it just felt right to tell a good friend in person... whilst gnawing on a piece of bbq beef rib (we were having dinner at Texas BBQ joint - Hill Country) at that. Andy's response was hilarious. The evolution was something like: "shut up stop lying" --> "are you serious" while clutching my hand --> "omg Im so happy for you guys" --> "you have to register at Buy Buy Baby cause there's one right near me". My gracious reply was "you're such a girl Andy" :-). It felt good to be able to share it with a friend. So now the people "in the know" have expanded to family and 2 friends.
Speaking of people in the know. U was at work yesterday when he was confronted for the first time, by a colleague about rumors that I was pregnant. Apparently she said that she heard from somebody (lets call them gossiper #1) who heard from somebody (gossiper #2) who heard from somebody else (gossiper #3) that I was pregnant. She only named gossiper #1 who, typical of the Lab gossip chain, I have never heard of or met. U and I have made no mention of our news to anyone in any way Lab affiliated so I have no idea how 3 gossipers managed to decipher/obtain this information. I have admittedly been less social since we found out 2 months ago, but is that really sufficiently suspicious to diagnose me as pregno? (I prefer pregno to prego)
Honestly the gossiping at the Lab is one of the things I find most unbearable about the place and it takes a lot of self-enforced-shutting-up for me to not tell people off about it. Its a place of work, but people are not professional enough to realize that its rude and inappropriate to speculate and talk about people's private lives on a 24 hour basis (this includes false and vicious rumors, which is not so in the case at hand but still...) So the dilemma now is whether I should tell my boss earlier than planned because the chance for this little piece of news to fall upon his ears in a matter of hours/days, is very high indeed.
Rrrggg! How I hate being dictated by the gossipyness of this place!
In more happy news, my first prenatal appointment is only 4 days away - about time! It may be that we will advance our announcement to soon after our doc appointment. Ideally, I would have waited to tell work once I was started to show. But the Lab being the Lab, I know people will be observing me this Friday when we go to a good-bye party. I told Uli this morning that I would go out of my way to "drink alcohol", stay out late, and dance on tables etc, if it meant even a temporary victory over the gossipers. Our clever undercover master plan will go something like this:
Code: "U, can you get me a Gin & Tonic"
Code Deciphered: Get me a glass of tonic water with a slice of lime in it
if someone else asks me if I want a drink:
Code: "Yes please, can you grab me a beer"
Action plan: take a sip, look wobbly, excuse myself to the bathroom, dump out the beer and fill it up with water.
We also intend to make out frequently cause no one thinks people who make out are pregnant.
...genius or what!?
No comments:
Post a Comment